How do I fit it into my school day?
How do I do this within my school day? I would set aside ten minutes each day for a week. Not more than that to start. You will still have time to follow your usual science plan for the day.
- Day one: Begin by showing the Move Mining Next Gen video to your class. Have them brainstorm some of the most important things they uses every day. This is the day I would assign the students to have the parent consent forms filled out at home.
- Day two: Have the students think about what minerals make up the things they enjoy.
- Day three: Spend the ten minutes looking at where these minerals are mined.
- Day four: Have students explore what their lives would be without that item.
- Day five: Have students think of a way to communicate that information. The following week should be full of script writing and filming. Perhaps some of this work can be done at home, during recess, or during an afterschool club? At this point, the project will likely take off! Perhaps plan a screening party where all the videos can be shared. Spend time after January 22, 2020 and watch the other submitted videos. Don’t forget: your students can vote on their favorites.